The Ghana Registered Nurses and Midwives Association (GRNMA) is a Professional Association for the various categories of Nurses in Ghana. Membership of GRNMA is open to all nurses/midwives in Ghana registered or enrolled by the Nursing and Midwifery Council, Ghana. Membership is acquired and maintained through registration and payment of monthly and other dues instituted by the GRNMA. Life membership of the Association is open to retired or disabled and maimed nurses who can never return to active service, upon payment of a prescribed fee.
The GRNMA has three main deductions that are used for various purposes and benefits for members.
This is 2% of a member’s basic salary (Single Spine Salary without the allowance and or the premium)
- 6% of monthly total dues goes into GRNMA health Fund. This seeks to address the health needs (cost) of ailments that fall outside the remit of Health insurance for members.
- Payment of retirement stipend/ benefit to members at rates determined by Congress/Conference from time to time.
- Payment of Death benefit of Active and life members at a rate determined by Congress/Conference
- Payment of spousal Death benefit to Members at a rate determined by Congress/Conference
- Payment of consultancy fees during salary Negotiations for Members.
- Payment of Salaries of the Association’s lawyer to fight for members in legal suits during Professional practice.
- Payment of quarterly Quotas to all the 17specialized groups under GRMNA to run their activities.
- Payment of quarterly District and Regional Quotas to man the District and Regions respectively.
- Payment of salaries of Secretariat workers of GRNMA
- Running of the National Secretariat.
- Funding of yearly International Nurses and Midwives’ week Celebrations.
- Funding of yearly Best Nurse/Midwives Award (one member from each Region)
- Funding of biennial Memorial Lecture of Dr. Dorcia Kissei.
- Funding of Delegate Conference/Congresses.
- Procurement and free distribution of souvenirs for all members every year.
- Payment of yearly international and affiliation dues (Public Service International (PSI), International Council of Nurses (ICN), International Council of Midwives (ICM), Commonwealth Federation of Nurses and Midwives (CFNM), West African Health Sector Union Network (WAHSUN).
- Funding of Regional and District tours by National Executives.
- Funding of Association representatives in Conferences locally and internationally as mandated by the Constitution of GRNMA.
- Quarterly stipend to Officials of the Association (National, Regional and District) as determined by Conference/Congress.
- Financial Support to Members in distress situations (Armed robbery, Fires, Accidents etc.)
- Financial support to Specialized groups during AGM’s.
Members pay twenty Ghana cedis (GH₵ 20) towards the building of the Regional Secretariat and Hostel projects. Ten Regional Secretariats and hostels are being constructed to serve as Office space for the Association and a temporary place of abode for members at discounted prices.
Seven (7) have been completed, and operational, 2 are completed and fully furnished pending inauguration for use, while 1 is yet to be furnished. There’s also an ongoing seven-storey project at the headquarters.
BENEFITS OF BUILDING PROJECTS
- To serve as Office space for members where members can tender in a request for claims due to them.
- Members are entitled to a discount e.g. At Zoti Korle-Bu hostel public rate-225 Ghc per night members rate 60 per night. Facilities (Self-contained, air-conditioning, Fridge, TV Queen Size bed with breakfast). Koforidua Public rate-120 and 100, members rate 60 and 50 ghc same facilities as Zoti and breakfast for two.
- Proceeds from the hostels are accounted for every Quarter at both National and Regional Council meetings and invested for the Association and plowed back into Membership benefits. Hostels are annually audited by National.
The Nurses Fund is to enhance the retirement income of Contributors. Each member contributes fifty Ghana Cedis (50 Ghc) a month. This is transferred into an individual’s personal account with the Scheme Administrators as a provident fund by Controller and Accountant General’s Department. The association does not receive any amount from this contribution.
100% contribution plus accrued interest is due to a member on retirement or Death.