In 2007, the Ministry of Health developed a 5-year policy document (HUMAN RESOURCE POLICIES AND STRATEGIES FOR THE HEALTH SECTOR 2007 – 2011) providing the basis for decision making regarding planning, training, recruitment, deployment, and management. The policies were to provide the framework for negotiations on adequate resource allocation for effective human resources for health service delivery in Ghana.
In the policy document, the Ministry planned a two-year rotation (internship) for nurses. It is unclear what necessitated this decision at that time. The policy though was never implemented. The Policy Thrust and Strategies were stated as below:
Policy Thrust: The MOH shall ensure that all newly trained health professionals undergo internships before being inducted into their professions.
- Maintain the current two-year housemanship for medical doctors.
- Implement the proposed two-year rotation for nurses.
- Ensure that adequate facilities like accommodation and equipment are provided during internship.
- Decentralize internship to regional and district accredited facilities.
- Build capacities for institutions and facilities to enable them to supervise interns.